We continue our recipe series with Nutritionist and rock star team member Penny Benjamin!
"They're my favourite because they're SUPER chocolatey, really quick & easy to make (you can easily make substitutions for things you prefer to use or have available in your pantry) and they freeze well - ideal for ice cream cookie sandwiches!" - Penny Benjamin, Nutritionist, www.pennybenjamin.com.au
- 1 1/2 (1.5) C buckwheat flour (not actually wheat, and is gluten-free)
- 1/2 C raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- pinch salt
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g preferred fat/oil or combination*
- 1 egg (or vegan egg alternative)
- 2 tsp vanilla powder or extract.
- 2 T honey or natural sweetener of choice (more if you have a sweet tooth).
*You could use grass-fed butter, organic coconut oil, macadamia oil, extra virgin olive oil or any combination of these so long as the total weight is 125g.
1. Preheat oven to 160degC. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
2. Combine the dry ingredients, including the chopped Cacao Melts, in a mixing bowl.
3. Warm the oil/fat and honey in a pot over the stove, stirring/whisking to combine. It shouldn’t bubble or anything, just heat it enough to soften the honey and butter/coconut oil and help them mix.
4. Remove from heat once combined and add vanilla and egg.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry and combine well.
6. Take tablespoon-sized portions of cookie dough mixture and mould into balls and place on the trays, press down on the balls with your fingers or a fork to form a cookie shape.
7. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Time will depend on your oven and on how you like your cookies (shorter time for “still a little gooey inside” and longer for “cooked all the way through”).
8. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an air-tight container in the pantry for up to a week. You can also freeze these Chunky Double Chocolate Gluten-Free Cookies for use later.
Follow Penny on Instagram @pennybenjamin.nutritionist and Facebook @pennybenjamin.nutritionist
Grab your ingredients (apart from the egg and vanilla) at our flagship store in Ashgrove or our online store here